AMERICAN EXPRESS® TRAVEL SERVICE
ONLINE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Passport and Visa Requirements
- Having the correct travel documentation is critical. If you have any questions or require assistance in regard to travel documentation please contact us (see heading “Questions” below, for contact details).
- Click here for more information on passports, visas and health information.
- For travel abroad, everyone requires a valid passport. In addition, depending on your passport’s country of issue and the country to/through which you are travelling, you may also need a travel visa and/or medical inoculations. Entry to another country may be refused if all required travel documents are not complete and can be refused even if the required information and travel documents are complete.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that all members of your party have valid travel documentation for the travel being undertaken, for the countries you are travelling to and connecting through, and for re-entry back into Canada. Further, it is your responsibility to ensure that the names on the passports of all members of your party match the names on your tickets. We cannot accept any responsibility if your holiday or travel arrangements have to be cancelled due to delays in document processing or because the relevant authorities have refused your travel documents. Processing times of issuing offices can take many weeks; please allow sufficient time to obtain all necessary documents prior to departure.
- Canadian Citizens require a valid 5 year Canadian Passport for travel outside of Canada. All children regardless of age (including newborns and infants) must have their own passport.
- Travellers must be prepared for TSA (Transportation Security Administration) check by US Customs and Security—this check will require full legal Name, gender, and date of birth. Failure to advise will result in denial of entry into the United States. Other Countries may apply the same security pre-screening.
- The Transportation Security Administration requires us to collect information from you for purposes of watch list matching, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, and the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. Providing this information is voluntary; however, if it is not provided, you may be subject to additional screening or denied transport or authorization to enter a sterile area. TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice. For more on TSA Privacy policies or to view the system of records notice and the privacy impact assessment, please see TSA's web site at www.tsa.gov.
- A parent travelling alone with their child/children may require an affidavit or letter from the other parent.
- Certain destinations may require at least 3 months to one year validity remaining on your passport after the date of return.
- Visas may be required for Canadian Citizens for entry to certain countries. Immigration, visa and entry restrictions may apply elsewhere for other Nationalities.
- Non-Canadian Citizens should contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of your destination for up-to-date advice on passport requirements.
- Visas may also be required for long stays over three months or to work in certain countries.
- Anyone with a criminal record travelling abroad may require a visa. This applies to entry to the USA and to other countries. You should contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the destination for up-to-date advice on immigration and visa requirements.
- Documentation requirements are subject to change. We recommend that all customers re-check their passport and visa requirements at least six weeks before they travel.
- Note that living standards and practices in other countries and the standards and conditions there with respect to the provision of utilities, services and accommodation may differ from those found in Canada. For worldwide travel updates see www.canada.gc.ca
- The recommended check-in times are listed below:
- Late check-in may result in denied boarding. Please reconfirm your international flights, 72 hours prior to departure, with the relevant local airline office.
- The check-in times indicated in the documents we send you are guidelines only. Airport, flight terminal and airline check-in requirements change frequently; we recommend you reconfirm specific requirements before going to the airport.
- Please call us if you wish to cancel or make changes to your booking at 1-855-804-9600 or by email to OLCO@aexp.com
- If your change is due to a booking error, please contact us the same day that the booking error occurred in order to avoid cancellation of your ticket/cancellation penalties.
- Airline or supplier charges and cancellation fees may apply. Refunds will only be provided by the airline or supplier in accordance with their terms and conditions.
- Refunds can take between 6 to 8 weeks to process. We will advise you of any extra charges or fees that will apply to your refund.
- Please note: If you have paid for your travel using Membership Rewards points and a refund is permitted by the travel supplier, we will credit your Membership Rewards points once we receive a refund from the Travel Supplier.
- Amex Canada Inc. and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and representatives (collectively, "Amex") act only as agent for travel suppliers and you understand and agree that Amex shall not be liable for any loss, injury, expense or damage to persons or property resulting, directly or indirectly, from (1) the acts or omissions of travel suppliers, including but not limited to delays, overbookings, cancellation of services, cessation of operations, accidents or failures of equipment, or changes in fares, itineraries or schedules; or (2) acts of God, fires, earthquakes, floods, climatic aberrations, acts of government authorities, civil unrest, strikes, riots, theft, disease, accidents or failures related to the public internet, telecommunication lines or facilities, or third party technology systems, or any other cause beyond the control of Amex.
- While American Express recommends travel suppliers and services to you, it is your responsibility to choose your travel suppliers. Therefore you shall hold Amex harmless and not responsible for any costs and/or inconveniences that may arise in the event the chosen travel supplier and/or their products and/or services do not match your personal preferences.
- Tickets must be purchased immediately. It is not possible to reserve this fare for later ticketing.
- Airfares guaranteed only at time of ticketing.
- You can access the fare rules during the booking process on the itinerary page by selecting the “Fare Rules” link. Please read all the applicable fare rules and restrictions which are delivered with this itinerary/receipt.
- Flights may be subject to the following restrictions (please note, these conditions are imposed by the airline and must be strictly adhered to):
Non-refundable – refunds are not permitted
Non-transferable – name changes are not permitted
Non-changeable – date changes are not permitted
Non-re-routable – routing changes are not permitted
Non-endorsable – is only valid for the issued carrier
Non-upgradeable – upgrading to higher fare types is not permitted
- Transportation and other services provided by the carrier are subject to conditions of contract and other important notices, which are delivered with this itinerary / receipt. Please ensure that you have received these notices, and if not, contact us or the issuing carrier to obtain a copy prior to the commencement of your trip. Please read important information regarding airline liability limitations.
- The Information we collect from time to time may include: (1) Information to identify you such as name, title, date of birth, contact information, government issued documentation details (for example, a passport) and your background (for example, citizenship); (2) Information in relation to the provision of products and services (for example, language and travel preferences, emergency contact information, and loyalty or reward program information for communication to applicable suppliers); and (3) Information relating to transactions arising from your relationship with or through us (this includes travel reservation details and details about how you make payments to us).
- We collect Information from various sources including from you directly through Traveller Profiles, reservation bookings and other communications, through the products and services you use, from others with your consent (such as a travel arranger authorized by you) or other permitted sources.
- In certain appropriate circumstances, we or others providing services through us may ask for health-related information for specific services (such as insurance) or requests (such as meal preferences on airlines). This type of Information will not be used for any purpose other than to address the specific service or request.
- We ask about your citizenship to help determine the documentation requirements for travel outside of Canada. We collect passport details because this Information may be required for certain travel destinations.
- We will review and analyze Information in various ways. For example, we may monitor transactions using proprietary techniques to help identify transactions that may be of risk from a fraud or money laundering and terrorist financing perspective. This may involve assessing Information in relation to information from other sources including our own records to detect suspicious patterns or connections.
- Except in the limited circumstances where our use of Information is permitted or required by law, before using your Information for any new purposes we will explain them to you and seek your consent.
- Subject to legal and contractual restrictions, you can withdraw your consent to our use of your Information at any time with reasonable notice. If you refuse or withdraw your consent for any purpose that is required by us to fulfill our product or service contract with you we will not be able to provide you, or continue to provide you, with the product or service.
- Customers have access to Information that is reasonably available and retrievable in the ordinary course of business. Upon your written request, we will disclose to you the Information in your file, subject to certain limitations. You have the right to correct any Information which is inaccurate or incomplete. You can access this Information by writing to us at our head office located at 101 McNabb Street, Markham, Ontario, L3R 4H8, Attention: Compliance & Ethics Department, Protection of Personal Information. We will respond to a written request from you within thirty days of receipt or such other time as may be permitted or required by law. If for any reason we do not grant you access, we will provide you with written reason(s). If you wish to obtain a copy of any Information in your file, we will let you know beforehand if there will be a charge for this service.
- To obtain more information about our policies and procedures in protecting your privacy visit our website at www.americanexpress.ca/privacy or call us at 1-888-301-5312 or (905) 943-1197 to request a copy of our Privacy Code.
- By checking the “I Agree” checkbox, you consent to the collection, disclosure, use and processing of personal information for the purposes described in the Privacy Notice.
- If you do not wish to consent to this Privacy Notice, you can return to the main travel page to continue searching travel options or contact one of our travel counsellors by phone (see Contact Us link) if you would rather conduct this transaction offline.
- Documentation confirming this online transaction will be sent by e-mail to the e-mail address you have supplied. If you do not receive this confirmation record within 24hours, or if you require documents sent to you via another medium, please contact our Travel Redemption Centre (see heading “Questions” for contact details).
- We strongly recommend you buy travel insurance before travelling.
- Some American Express Cards do not cover you for Cancellation, Interruption or Out-of Country/Province medical insurance. You may purchase this insurance, Visit RBC Insurance. Additional cost will apply.
- For more information regarding applicable insurance coverage on your American Express Card, please contact American Express at the number on the back of your Card.
- To ask us about travel insurance coverage, see heading “Questions” for our contact details.
- Should you have any questions, please contact American Express Travel Services, before continuing with this online transaction, at (416) 868-0955 or toll free at 1 (855) 804-9600.
Airport/Airline Check-in Procedures
- Domestic check-in is 90 minutes prior to departure.
- Trans-border check-in is 2 hrs prior to departure.
- International check-in is 2-3 hrs prior to departure.
Authority to Charge Card
You authorize the charging of the American Express Card(s) provided, the redemption of Membership Rewards points (if applicable) and acknowledge understanding and acceptance of the Privacy Notice set out at the end of these Terms and Conditions, which includes your consent to the collection, disclosure, use and processing of your personal information for the purposes identified.
Authority to Enter into this Agreement
You represent that you have achieved the age of majority and have the legal authority to enter into this agreement and to use this website in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
Cancellations or Changes
If the passenger’s journey involves an ultimate destination or stop in a Country other than the Country of departure, the Warsaw convention may be applicable and the convention governs and in most cases limits the liability of the carriers for death or personal injury in respect of loss of or damage to baggage.
Contact with you the Customer
Should we need to contact you regarding this transaction, we will endeavour to contact you as per the “Traveller Details” you have supplied to us in this booking. It is your responsibility to advise us if your contact details change.
Disclaimer of Liability
Disclosure of Relationships
American Express assists you in finding travel suppliers and making arrangements that met your individual needs. We consider various factors in identifying travel suppliers and recommending specific itineraries for you. In this role we are acting as an independent third party and not as a fiduciary. We want you to be aware that certain suppliers pay us commissions as well as incentives for reaching sales targets or other goals, and from time to time may also provide incentives to our travel counsellors. Certain suppliers may also provide compensation to us for various marketing and administrative services that we perform for them, such as granting them access to our marketing channels, participating in marketing programs and supporting technology initiatives. In addition, we receive compensation from suppliers when customers use the American Express Card or other American Express products and services. From time to time, we may enter into other business relationships with suppliers and these arrangements, including levels and types of compensation and incentives we receive, are subject to change. In identifying suppliers and recommending itineraries, we may consider a number of factors, including supplier availability and your preferences. The relationships we have with suppliers may also influence the suppliers we identify and the itineraries we recommend.
For after-hours emergency assistance, please quote access code A7RC when phoning 1-855-804-9600 / outside Canada/USA call collect 1-416-868-0955.
Fare Rules and Restrictions
We value your opinion. Please call us (see heading “Questions” for contact details) or write to “The Manager” at American Express Travel Services, 33 Yonge Street, Suite 900W , Toronto, ON M5E 1S9
Membership Rewards Points
Membership Rewards points are accepted as payment for a wide range of travel options through American Express Travel Services. Membership Rewards points can be used to pay for new travel purchases, including taxes and surcharges. Membership Rewards points are not refundable. Membership Rewards points have no cash value. Travel selections are based on available space and are subject to terms and conditions of travel suppliers. For car rental companies and hotels that do not accept prepaid bookings, contact American Express Travel Services at 1-800-611-1100 or (416) 868-4992 for details about how you can use your Membership Rewards points.
PRIVACY NOTICE – SAFEGUARDING YOUR PRIVACY
You are urged to read this Privacy Notice thoroughly as it relates to important matters dealing with your privacy rights. It includes your consent to the collection, disclosure, use and processing of your personal information for the purposes identified. It also provides some illustrative descriptions and examples to help you understand the nature of this personal information and how it relates to the purposes
In this Privacy Notice, the words “we”, “our” and “us” mean Amex Canada Inc., its parent and affiliates (including Amex Bank of Canada, a provider of financial related services), and their agents and service providers (acting on their behalf). “Personal information” is any information which relates to an individual and allows that individual to be identified (“Information”).
We collect, disclose, use and process Information: (1) to consider initiating and to initiate, maintain and develop our relationship with you in connection with our offering products and services generally, including helping us to understand the current and future needs of our customers and to otherwise analyze and manage our business; (2) to administer billing and accounting services in relation to your business with us; (3) to apply security measures which may include monitoring transactions or verifying Information about your background or to identify you; (4) as permitted by or to comply with law and regulatory requirements; (5) to, where the provision of services or benefits provided to you are offered by or include the participation of third party suppliers, share and exchange with such third party suppliers, and their agents and service providers, any Information reasonably required for the provision of the services or benefits; (6) to share or exchange Information with a travel arranger authorized by you; and (7) to promote and to market additional products, goods and services offered by Amex, its affiliates or preferred travel partners, including by means of direct mail. When you provide us with your e-mail address, our e-mail communications with you may include customer service and information notices in addition to travel information and documentation. You agree that we, or reputable organizations selected by and acting for us, may from time to time monitor and / or record your telephone calls with us for the purposes of servicing accuracy, quality assurance, training and record keeping. We may use Information in our records for as long as it is needed for the purposes described above even after our relationship with you has ceased.
You consent to our collection, disclosure, use and processing of Information for the purposes described above. You have the option to “Opt Out” of future solicitation mailings and marketing offers. Please contact us on 1-800-611-1100 or 416-868-4992 to initiate the “Opt Out” process.
You authorize third parties to give us the Information for these purposes. If you provide us with Information about any other individual, you confirm that the individual (i) has consented to our collection, disclosure, use and processing of that Information for these purposes as reasonably required and (ii) authorizes third parties to give us the Information for these purposes.
Nature of Information Collected
Your Consent Rights
We Provide File Access
Travel Document Dispatch